Nir Eyal on Technology, Distraction and Taking Control of Our Lives
Nir Eyal is an entrepreneur, investor and expert on the intersection of psychology, technology and business. He has started and sold multiple technology companies, invested in several more, and authored two books. The second, Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life, published September 10 and is now available for purchase.
Nir joined host Robert Glazer on the Elevate Podcast to talk about why technology distracts us, how it influences our everyday lives, the impact it has on children—and their parents—and how you can free yourselves from distraction and choose your own life.
Listen to this episode on your favorite platform
A big thanks to our episode sponsor, DoorDash
Long day at work? Still stuck at the office? Treat yourself to the meal you deserve, and have your favorite restaurants come to you, with DoorDash. DoorDash connects you to 340,000 restaurants in over 3,300 cities, so not only are your favorites on there, but you might a great new spot as well.
Don’t worry about dinner, let dinner come to you. Get $5 off your first order of $15 or more by downloading the DoorDash app and entering the promo code ELEVATE.
On this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Nir’s early career and how he moved into the tech world.
- How Nir’s relationship with food inspired an interest in habit forming products.
- Why Nir doesn’t like to describe technology overuse as an addiction.
- Why distraction is not a new phenomenon.
- Why technology-distraction stems from our desire to avoid pain.
- How people can take ownership of their technology use and be Indistractible.
- How a moment with Nir’s daughter inspired him to write Indistractible
- How technology and modern parent affect children’s psychological development.
- A mistake Nir has made, and what he learned from it.
Links from the Episode
Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life by Nir Eyal
Hooked: How to Build Habit Forming Products by Nir Eyal
Guest: Nir Eyal
Host: Robert Glazer
We hope you enjoyed this Elevate podcast episode. If you did, we’d greatly appreciate you rating and/or reviewing it on Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe so you don’t miss an episode!