Michael Bungay Stanier on Coaching and The Advice Trap
Michael Bungay Stanier has changed the way we talk about coaching. He’s also done the near impossible: self-publishing a worldwide bestseller.
Michael is the founder of Box of Crayons, who works with brands such as Yahoo and TD Bank get the most out of their talent. Michael is also a top-rated keynote speaker, he has spoken to organizations such Microsoft and Salesforce. He is also the Wall Street Journal bestselling author of The Coaching Habit and Do More Great Work and has new book, The Advice Trap, which published February 29 and is now available for purchase.
Michael joined host Robert Glazer on the Elevate Podcast to talk about growing up in Australia, his path to become a coach, turning The Coaching Habit into a self-published bestseller and more.
Listen to this episode on your favorite platform
On this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Michael’s childhood growing up in Australia.
- Michael’s experience studying at Oxford.
- How Michael got his start as a youth crisis counselor.
- How Michael started his business in 2002 and grew it.
- Why Michael says you can coach somebody in 10 minutes or less.
- How the reputation and understanding of coaching has changed.
- How Michael self-published The Coaching Habit and sold nearly 1 million copies.
- Michael’s new book, The Advice Trap.
- A mistake Michael has made, and what he learned from it.
Links from the Episode
The Advice Trap by Michael Bungay Stanier
The Coaching Habit by Michael Bungay Stanier
Guest: Michael Bungay Stanier
Host: Robert Glazer
We hope you enjoyed this Elevate Podcast episode. If you did, we’d greatly appreciate you rating and/or reviewing it on Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe so you don’t miss an episode!