Alex Hutchinson on the Art and Science of Elevating Your Endurance
Alex Hutchinson is a National Magazine Award-winning journalist. He writes mostly about science and endurance sports and is also currently a contributing editor at Outside, a columnist at the Globe and Mail, and a senior editor at Canadian Running. He was previously a Runner’s World columnist and contributing editor at Popular Mechanics.
His latest book, ENDURE: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance is an exploration of the science (and mysteries) of endurance.
Alex is also an avid runner.
A big thanks to our episode sponsor, The Next Big Idea Club!
This episode of Elevate with Robert Glazer is also brought to you by The Next Big Idea Club. If you’re looking for bestsellers before they become bestsellers, then this book club is for you.
Curated by Daniel Pink (When, Drive, To Sell is Human), Malcolm Gladwell (The Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers), Susan Cain (Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking) and Adam Grant (Give and Take, Originals), The Next Big Idea Club is a book subscription community where these brilliant, bestselling authors select each season’s most exciting new nonfiction books and then send them straight to you.
Use link https://www.nextbigideaclub.com/10off and get 10% off your subscription! There’s also a 3-day FREE trial on the BYOB (Bring Your Own Book) option on that page as well.
- Alex’s start to running and favorite place to run.
- Increasing endurance and what research shows is the way to do that.
- The mental and physical components of resiliency.
- Why challenging yourself mentally and emotionally is difficult for most people.
- The role the brain plays in physically limiting the body as well as helping it push limits.
- How the 4-minute mile barrier is a great example of the mind-body paradigm.
- How you can help your brain help your body push physical limits.
- Alex’s endure moment.
- Emotional endurance and how it transfers to physical endurance.
- Why it’s so important to push yourself out of your comfort zone on a regular basis.
- How Alex came to know and become friends with Malcolm Gladwell.
- Realization Alex had that put him on a path to journalism and writing.
- Hardest aspect of writing
- Mistake or failure Alex has learned the most from.
Links from the Episode
Endure by Alex Hutchinson
A conversation between Alex Hutchinson and Malcom Gladwell (YouTube)
Guest: Alex Hutchinson
Host: Robert Glazer
We hope you enjoyed this Elevate with Robert Glazer podcast episode. If you did, we’d greatly appreciate you rating and/or reviewing it on Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe so you don’t miss an episode!